Tuesday, January 09, 2007

10 Best Cookbooks

One of the benefits of moving my food links from my browser to this web page is running across something I saved but haven't looked at in a while. My fear when I see old links like that is that someday they might disappear from the net and I'll have forgotten about them. So, I'll write this down here:

Clarissa Dickson-Wright's 10 Best Cookbooks:

First Catch your Hare by Hannah Glasse
A New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden
The Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison
Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book
The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden
The Classic Food of Northern Italy by Anne Del Conte
English Bread and Yeast Cookery by Elizabeth David
The Accomplisht Cook by Robert May
The Rice Book by Sri Owen
The Compleat Mustard Rosamond Man and Robin Weir



PS - I never want to forget this list because I found one of my favorite food books from this list, entry #10. [UPDATE: My wife pointed out to me that she was the one who found the book for me. Obrigado.] I'm a mustard freak, fascinated by almost all culinary and chemical aspects of the amazing seeds of this plant. But when I finally tracked this book down, it was better than I could have imagined; it was, in fact, one of the best food books I've read.

As some shameless self-promotion, I will be having a French Mustards and Vinaigrettes tasting on January 24th from 7-9pm in Ann Arbor. The cost is $20. Come taste some mustards (we'll have a mustard dessert!), let me fill your head with fun info, and share my passion with you. Call 734-663-3400 to register for it.